Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Valley Wire - 6/17/2010

Hollywood and the Toys
By Mary Beth Gentle

“To infinity, and beyond!” – Buzz Lightyear

“You’re my favorite Deputy!” – Woody

“The Claw is our Master.” – Three-Eyed Alien



The Toy Story franchise has not only invaded our pop culture, it has invaded our homes and our hearts. From the smallest toddler carting around his Buzz Lightyear action figure to adults everywhere, the release of Toy Story 3 cannot come fast enough. The last installment in the saga of Buzz, Woody and the gang was in 1999 so we are long overdue to see just how the adventure continues.

The official synopsis for the movie has little Andy all grown up and heading off to college and through a bit of a mix up the toys are all shipped off to a Daycare center. As Buzz, Woody and the gang find themselves facing a multitude of tiny tots and their sticky little fingers, plans for the great escape quickly get underway. Where they end up is anyone’s guess, but knowing our favorite toy gang it won’t matter as long as they are there together.

I have watched the trailer numerous times and have gone to the official Disney site to check out the new characters and was met with all kinds of interactive fun. The old gang is back in full force; Buzz Lightyear, Sheriff Woody, Jessie, Bullseye, Barbie, Rex, Ham, Slinky Dog and of course the Potato Heads. And there is a whole Daycare full of new toys including; Lots-‘O-Huggin’ Bear, Ken, Stretch, Big Baby, Mr. Pricklepants, Dolly, Trixie and Buttercup. It is hard to tell from the pictures and the trailer, but I have to say it already looks like ‘Ken’ is going to steal the show. At least for the adults in the theatre.

Pixar has always done a great job at entertaining the adults as well as the kids in the audience. Which might be the main reason why the excitement is mounting all throughout the Hollywood cubicles. There are tiny toys appearing on every desk. The original Toy Story favorites are there, but the new ones are starting to appear as well. I have to admit, I even found myself eyeing all the toys on the shelves at Target the other day. And even though I was there under the guise of buying something for my nephews, I couldn’t help but pick up a small action figure of a cute little unicorn named ‘Buttercup’. For my nephews of course.

Toy Story releases on June 18th and I can’t wait to get in line to see what my favorite toy heroes are up to. As always I am sure Disney and Pixar will deliver the goods and add another family favorite to their collection!

No comments: