Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Examiner Article - 11/19/2010

Hollywood and the Wizards
By Mary Beth Gentle

The tale of a small, orphaned boy who lived under the stairs on Privet Drive to his entry into the wizarding world of Hogwarts has captured hearts around the world. From the imagination of author JK Rowling was born a Hollywood mega franchise, the “Harry Potter” series. We have watched Harry and his friends at Hogwarts grow up in a world filled with magic and wonder, a world threatened by a dark lord and a world where a young boy can become a hero.

The first film in the franchise, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, was a little bit fantasy, a little bit coming of age and a little bit mystery. It offered a bright and friendly look in to the new world that Harry Potter was discovering and only glimpsing slightly at the darkness that was buried underneath. As Harry Potter grew so did the world around him and so did the intensity of each movie that came out. Without a doubt, the Harry Potter movies have successfully created a visual and captivating glimpse into the magical book series.



On Friday November 19th, the seventh movie in the Harry Potter series hits the big screen and is sure to deliver edge of your seat excitement. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is the first of two movies to bring JK Rowling’s final book to life. In this first installment Harry, Ron and Hermione decide to finish Dumbledor’s work and find the rest of the Horcruxes to defeat the dark lord. The three young wizards will face their hardest challenges yet when they go up against the evil forces surrounding them.

The Hollywood Cubicles have jumped on the bandwagon and caught Harry Potter fever. The books are being reread and the movies are being re-watched as we speak. What started as a fun movie franchise has turned into a bit of an obsession. And I have to admit that I am part of it. I have read the entire series at least twice, I have listened to the books on tape and I have watched the first six movies countless times. I even purchased my ticket three weeks ago in anticipation of opening night insanity.

Even though I know the story and I know how it turns out, I can’t help but feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, the anticipation is almost too much to bear. I can’t wait for Harry Potter and his friends to take me along on their journey through the magical world of wizarding and potions. I will be sitting in the center of the theatre with my bucket of popcorn enjoying every minute!


Continue reading on Examiner.com: Hollywood and the Wizards - Los Angeles Film Industry | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/film-industry-in-los-angeles/hollywood-and-the-wizards#ixzz1BVlMb0PT

No comments: