Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Examiner Article - 7/15/2010

Hollywood Dreams of the Blockbuster
By Mary Beth Gentle

Did you ever have a dream that you wanted so bad you could taste it? For me that dream was and in many ways still is, Hollywood. It started as something far away and intangible, something that other people went on to do, certainly not something a quiet, shy kid from No-where’s-ville, USA would ever be a part of.

Sometimes I wonder where my dream of a life in Hollywood all began, where and at what moment I was hooked. Maybe it was the Saturday Matinees at the little theatre on our small town’s Main Street, where they would play old Disney movies while we ate our popcorn and slurped our sodas. Maybe it was the Sunday afternoons spent watching old black and white Cary Grant movies with my Grandmother. Or maybe it was the seventh grade field trip to the local TV station where I got to see the cameras and lights close up.

I think all those things helped nurture the dream, but the more I think about it the dream for me was created by the Hollywood Summer Blockbuster. These are the big budget movies that every Studio spends all year prepping, shooting and posting to get on screen for Memorial Weekend through Labor Day Weekend. For me, that was my summer vacation, I had it planned from the moment school let out to the moment it started back up in September. I knew which ones I had to see and which ones I would see over and over again.

And I am still the same way. My summer is not planned out by elaborate vacation plans to some great escape or a tropical get away. It’s planned out by what movie opens on what weekend, how early I am going to buy my tickets and where I am going to see it. This summer I have kept pretty current on my movies - without a doubt Toy Story is the blockbuster of the summer. But, i just saw a movie that reminded me of the favorite movies of my youth. Sorcerer's Apprentice.

It is a pure 'popcorn' movie through and through. Sorcerer's Apprentice tells the story of master sorcerer, Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage) and his more than century long quest to find the worthy apprentice that can help him defeat the evil Maxim Horvath (Alfred Molina) once and for all. He recruits NYU college student, Dave Stutler (Jay Baruchel) to be that apprentice. With a crash course in magic the two go on to battle evil and save the city from peril. It won't win any awards out there - but I had a great time!



So, even when I have weeks like this past one, where I have worked close to sixty-hours and I’m not sure if any of the powers that be care or recognize my efforts, I still smile a little at the thought that I’m actually here, living my dream. And at least for one moment, during one movie this summer, I got to be a kid again with my bucket of popcorn and my dreams of a blockbuster.


Continue reading on Examiner.com: Hollywood Dreams of the Blockbuster - Los Angeles Film Industry | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/film-industry-in-los-angeles/hollywood-dreams-of-the-blockbuster#ixzz1BVhw3tke

No comments: