Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Valley Wire - 11/30 Column

My Hollywood Cubicle
By Mary Beth Gentle


The Valley Wire saved my life. That may sound a little on the dramatic side, but I honestly think it might be true. And normally, I would be the last person to believe that something as out of my realm as a local newspaper from Osceola, Wisconsin, could save the life of a single girl living ‘the dream’ in the glitz and glamour that is Hollywood California. But, that is the truth. The moment the latest edition arrives in the mail, I read it cover to cover.

I work at a major Movie Studio. And for many reading this, I am sure the thought of Hollywood life brings to mind things like; Film Premieres, Movie Stars, Outrageous Parties, Paparazzi, and oh, yes, the Glamour and Glitz. I am here to tell you, that only encompasses about five percent of the reality behind the Dream. And I am not saying that in an attempt to burst any bubbles. It is a fact. The majority of the cogs turning the wheels that run ‘Hollywood’ sit in grey cubicles surrounded by other grey cubicles, wondering if we will ever get our invite to the big Premiere party or if they will pass us by again.

It is a funny business. The Business of Hollywood. For one thing, not much of it actually takes place in Hollywood. The magic happens in very unglamorous places like Burbank and Culver City to name just a few. And the offices are filled with more accountants than filmmakers. A good reminder, that at the end of the day, it is a business.

I came to Hollywood to be a screenwriter. The guy in the cube next to me plans on directing one day. And just about everyone you meet believes that they would make a great producer. I still write. Everyday! The guy that wants to be a Director, is still out there raising money to shoot his short. And everyone I know is out there pitching a project to Produce. Because the one word that never makes it into the glitzy description of Hollywood is ‘Hope’. But, we all have it. It’s what keeps us here. It’s what brings new people to this industry everyday.

The longer you are here, the longer you will remain. Because that’s how they get you, you work on one movie, then the next and pretty soon you are hooked. It gets easier and easier to envision that your movie will be the next one to be made. Maybe right now you are just getting coffee or typing up script changes for someone else. But, the thing is, you are here. You are living the dream. Those of us that have been languishing in the same grey cubicles waiting for our big breaks, recite that line to ourselves several times a day. ‘I am living the dream. Oh yes. I am living the dream.’

I am hoping that with the help of the Valley Wire, maybe I can live the dream a little sooner than most. I am writing something that someone is reading. I hope you are anyway. And in return, a couple of times a month, I will get a glimpse into your world. And maybe we will see that our worlds are not so very different.


Right now, the world I live in is in Turmoil. We have entered into our fourth week of a Writer’s Strike. I am sure by now, many of you have heard of it, whether it was the celebrity appearances that made the Primetime news channel or the latest E! Hollywood update. Celebrities aside, it is important to remember that ninety-five percent of the writers on the picket line are just regular working people (who have a really cool job), working paycheck to paycheck and doing their hardest to make sure that they are being paid fairly for the work they do. It’s no different than any other unionized industry. Well, except Jay Leno probably doesn’t bring striking airline workers a box of doughnuts nor do you see striking city bus workers marching down Hollywood Boulevard. But other than that, it is pretty much the same. When negotiations fail, you go on strike.

Basically, negotiations have broken down over the financial formula that is used to pay writers a share of the DVD revenue and the fact that the writers are currently paid nothing for Internet and other Digital sales. It is only fair that the Writers should be guaranteed a fair percentage of the money the Studios make every year on DVD and Internet sales.

And, maybe I’m biased, because I have friends walking the picket lines, so it is affecting me on a personal level. But, the longer this strike goes on, the more people it will effect. And not just the other industries or the non-union staff people who will be out of work when production on TV show after TV show shuts down, it will start to effect you as well. Without the writers we will be faced with months of reality TV. And I don’t care what part of the country you live in, there is only so much humor a person can find in bad singing and dancing.

The writers are the people that dream up the stories, create the characters and write the dialogue that we all gather around our Televisions and computers to watch every week. They make us laugh, they make us cry, they create the characters that become ingrained in our culture. So, for this hopeful girl in Hollywood, sitting in her little grey cubicle, I am going to hope for a quick resolution to the Strike. And considering that this past Monday negotiations between the Writers and the Producers have finally resumed with talk of a positive result, maybe all that hope will pay off.

I look forward to sharing more moments from life in ‘Hollywood’ with all of you.

No comments: